Friday, June 27, 2008

Pushups and more pushups


Week 2 of the hundred pushups challenge is in the books.
Day 2 (earlier this week) was pretty tough, though I made things harder on myself by inadvertently taking only 60 seconds rest in the first four sets, then a few minutes as usual before the max effort.

Day 2 totals: 16/13/11/11/max(20)

Day 3 today was even harder. I'm sore in muscles I didn't know I had, and the soreness grew with each set. Sets 3-4 required virtually all-out efforts to reach the minimums.
Day 3 totals: 15/15/12/12/Max(18) =72 pushups

I'm through Week 2 and now the program calls for a new exhaustion test. At the risk of sounding like a slacker, I'm thinking of taking a few days off, doing the exhaustion test, then a few more days off, and starting with Week 3 after that - basically taking one "easy" week. I want to be fresh for the test, and fresh for renewed training. I'm fine with hard work and sweat. Soreness in the same muscles every day? That suggests my body is not catching up with new stresses, and I'm already recovering from other physical issues.

I enjoyed another spinning session indoors yesterday and pushed myself a little more, increasing the rpms and getting out of the saddle some more. Twinges in my right Achilles told me this might be too much. Sigh. It had been doing so well too. It's looking like I won't be crossing any finish lines on July 4 and will have to settle for cheering on the other runners.

5 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

I'm mighty impressed that you've gotten so far already.

It will be interesting to see how many you can do on the exhaustion test as compared to your first test.

Vickie said...

I'm noticing the soreness or at least twinges too and I'm just finished with the first week. And I'm only doing column 1!

Jeff said...

Thanks Andrew! I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do.

Vickie - I find it is a tough program. But, there aren't any shortcuts to getting fitter or stronger. Good luck with week 2!

Anonymous said...

The pushup challenge--wow! I've added an ab workout to my running, but I have to admit...I hate doing pushups.

Very impressive!

Jeff said...

Hi Beth - thanks! I could probably stand to add some abs training myself.